Email me if you have something to say. I like you.

 

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Recipe of the Day

I am too tired from a wild and crazy night at Bunco followed by a not-wild and wakeful night filled with unexplainable anxiety to think of anything to say, so here's a recipe I made up yesterday.

Eggplant Pie

I took about 3 cups of chopped and peeled eggplant and sautéed them in olive oil with a little garlic salt. I could have used regular salt and added fresh garlic, but I'm lazy. I added two finely chopped (small) green peppers (one large would do) and one can, drained, chopped tomatoes with green chilies. Ro-tel tomatoes are good for this, but I had the generic ones from the health food store, with no extra salt. I cooked all that for, um, awhile. For about as long as it took me to make a batch of pesto in the Cuisinart to take to Bunco that night. As usual, we ended up not playing Bunco, because we spent too much time talking and eating. We played Left Right Center instead, but with dollar bills instead of chips. I might start playing it with the kids to teach them the dangers of gambling. And to try to win their money.

So, cook the stuff until the liquid is mostly cooked out. Freeze half of it to make another pie another day. Make sure you write on the container, so you'll know what it is later.

In a bowl, mix 4 eggs, about a cup of shredded cheese (I used mozzarella) and a splash of milk. That's my standard quiche mix. I usually add a spoonful of mustard and some white pepper when I'm making quiche.

Dump the eggplant stuff into a ready made pie crust (or make your own, twit) or skip the crust altogether and put the stuff in a quiche pan (you Low-carb Eating Freak). Pour the egg mixture over the top and cook the whole thing at 350° for about 30 minutes. Let it sit on the counter to set. Serve it warm, cold, room temperature or reheated. I don't really care.

Had I thought of it, I could have added chopped chives and oregano from the yard, but I didn't. I was just happy to use the eggplant and green peppers from our CSA before they went bad. As I mentioned before, I've been feeling useless and it felt like an accomplishment.

The boys loved it, which is good, because I have enough of the eggplant stuff frozen to make one more.

No comments: